Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sweet Delaney


If you're like me, plans for christmas are stressing you out. This past weekend, I had 2 hockey games, 1 practice, 1 picture session for hockey, overnight guests, mcing a function at church, birthday party, shopping, working on christmas cards and a bunch of other stuff to do. I had the weekend planned to perfection with little room for error. We had overnight guests as well and in the morning, after preparing them breakfast, the phone must have rang although I don't remember hearing it. Our friend Roxanne called to say that Sophia's birthday party to chuckee cheese would be postponed. One of the 2 invited guests wasn't feeling well. Roxanne had received a call from our friend Lisa, that Delaney had woken up that morning with a nose bleed and she was taking her to the hospital to get her checked out. I broke the news to Isaac that Delaney wasn't feeling that well and the party was cancelled. After some initial disapointment, he became distracted by the pending hockey game. After our game, I thought I should check in and see how Delaney was feeling. When there was no answer at their home, I began to worry. At 1:45 that afternoon, i got a phone call that still gives me chills... "Hi Bruce, It's Steve.... Delaney has Luekemia" At that moment, life came to a stand still. I don't remember the next hour, it's a blur filled with tears and anger. Priorities came to the surface and the fact that my christmas cards weren't done or my material wasn't ready for the evening banquet didn't seem to matter. I took my carefully planned out day and pitched it out the window. I sat on the couch in a daze, prayed a lot, and cried a lot. My long list of things I need to do before christmas is even longer now but i don't really care. Some of you may get your christmas cards from me this year, some of you may not. My heart is hurting and broken for our friends and sweet little laney and I don't feel festive. The house might not be clean, I may not get all the stocking stuffers bought, and christmas will come whether i'm ready or not. I could try and get all those things done but I still wouldn't feel festive...

But today a glimmer of hope. The roller coaster of emotions seems to be climbing yet another hill. News that our little friend's chemotherapy seems to be working and fighting the bad cancer cells. One of the IV's was able to be taken out and freed up her thumb sucking hand. Not a big thing to some, but to a father of a frightened little girl seeking comfort, it's a huge thing. And this afternoon, our friends opened up their world and posted this sweet sweet picture of their little girl. I can't stop looking at it... her body fighting this horrible disease yet a picture of beauty and hope. This picture makes me happy, seeing her smiling, knowing she's doing better... So now i guess, with a little motivation, i will start back on my list, still with a heavy heart, but now filled with a little hope.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rev Ev said...

Bruce.. beautiful.. amazing how the little things in life can really be changed in an instant..and life's perspecitve changes in an instant.
Thanks for sharing..and keeping us up to date... Praying for the whole family..and all those close to Delaney..
praying also for your kids and other kids who are friends with her..I know it is a hard thing for them all to understand..but I know that our God is a huge God who will and is caring you all thru this... Have a blessed day..

Wendy said...

Praying for Delaney.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce - thank you for your sharing your heart with us. Praying for all of you as you walk through this.

shari said...

Your words gave me a chill. It's exactly how I was feeling when I heard the horrible news. How quickly our lives can change and our priorities put into check. I think many of us will be counting our blessings this Christmas and thinking of Delaney, Lisa, Steve and Davin. It may be a less festive holiday, but it will also be one with more meaning.

Anonymous said...

Bruce i want to thank but most of all i want to thank god for giving you the words to write that. God is great and good comes from every situation who would had thought that one little girl can bring a community near and wide togather in prayer. Jordan and I are praying for Delaney and the Osmond May god lift them up and surrond them in his Healing Grasp.